Renewing Professionalism Video Series: Practicing Wise Stewardship of Resources
Philadelphia, PA — The ABIM Foundation’s video series, “Renewing Professionalism: A Challenge to the Health Care Community” documents a discussion among a group of nationally known physician leaders, educators, payers, policy opinion leaders and patient advocates.
The fourth part of the video series, “Practicing Wise Stewardship of Resources” examines a physician’s role in the wise and effective use of finite healthcare resources, one of the three principles articulated in the Physician Charter. Along with the primacy of patient welfare and patient autonomy, the principle of social justice obligates the medical profession to “promote justice in the health care system, including the fair distribution of health care resources.
Interviewees discuss the current health care system’s tendency to reward quantity over quality care. The conversation also touches upon ways to contain costs, improve patient satisfaction and the importance of communication with patients. Specific topics include:
- Comparative effectiveness research
- Improving educational programs
- Communicating with patients about making wise choices about resource use
Among the interviewees featured in the discussion are:
- F. Daniel Duffy, MD, Dean, Oklahoma University School of Community Medicine
- Richard Baron, MD, Former President, Greenhouse Internists, PC
- Darrell Kirch, MD, President and Chief Executive Officer, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Susan Dentzer, Editor-in-Chief, Health Affairs
- Arnold Milstein, MD, MPH, Medical Director, Professor of Medicine and Director of the Clinical Excellence Research Center at Stanford University, Pacific Business Group on Health and Chief Physician, Mercer
- James Guest, President and Chief Executive Officer, Consumers Union
- Helen Darling, President, National Business Group on Health
- Carolyn Clancy, MD, Director, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Virginia Tilden, DNSc, RN, Dean, College of Nursing, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- David Reuben, MD, Chief of Geriatrics Division, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
vMeg Gaines, JD, Director, Professor of Law, Center for Patient Partnerships, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Holly Humphrey, MD, Dean for Medical Education, University of Chicago School of Medicine
- Glenn Hackbarth, JD, Chairman, Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
All five parts of the video series are available for viewing in the Resource Center of the ABIM Foundation website.
Wanda Odom, Director of Communications