ABIM Foundation Announces Its New Chair and Trustees
July 20, 2022
The ABIM Foundation today announced the election of David L. Coleman, MD as Chair and the appointment of four new members to its Board of Trustees effective July 1, 2022: Odette C. Bolano, FACHE, MHA, BSN, Ali Khan, MD, MPP, FACP, Bruce Leff, MD, and Heather Comer Yun, MD, FACP, FIDS. The Board also elected Frederick P. Cerise, MD, MPH as Vice Chair and Jeanne Marrazzo, MD, MPH as Secretary-Treasurer.
“As the Foundation continues to advance its efforts to build trust across the health care system, we are fortunate to be guided by the leadership of our new Chair, David L. Coleman, MD, who, as the longstanding Chair of the Department of Medicine at Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, a practicing internist, and an infectious disease specialist, brings a wealth of knowledge about clinical practice and medical research to our work,” said Richard J. Baron, MD, President and CEO of the ABIM Foundation. “We are equally fortunate to be joined by four new Trustees – Odette C. Bolano, Ali Kahn, MD, Bruce Leff, MD, and Heather Yun MD – each of whom are experts in their respective fields, and bring important and diverse perspectives to our mission.”
Odette C. Bolano, FACHE, MHA, BSN, is President and CEO of Saint Alphonsus Health System, where she provides executive leadership and strategic and operational oversight for a five-hospital system across Idaho and Oregon. Prior to this role, from December 2015 to 2018, she served as President of Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center. Before joining Saint Alphonsus, Odette served as Senior Vice President of Kaiser Permanente – East Bay in Oakland, California, and in other senior executive positions with health care systems in Texas and Arizona.
David L. Coleman, MD, a board certified internist and infectious disease specialist, is the John Wade Professor and Chair of the Department of Medicine at the Boston University School of Medicine and Physician-in-Chief at Boston Medical Center. Prior to assuming his current position, Dr. Coleman was Chief of Medical Service at the VA Connecticut Healthcare System and Interim Chair of the Department of Medicine at Yale University School of Medicine. He serves on the Board of Trustees of the Boston Medical Center and the Board of Directors of the Boston University Medical Group and is a member of the Executive Committee at Boston University School of Medicine. Dr. Coleman is a fellow of the American College of Physicians. He previously served as Past President of the Association of Professors of Medicine, Secretary on the Board of Directors of the ABIM, and served as a member of the ABIM Internal Medicine Board Exam Committee.
Ali Khan, MD, MPP, FACP, is a board certified practicing general internist and Chief Medical Officer – Value-Based Care Strategy at Oak Street Health, a value-based health care company focused on the delivery of transformative primary care to vulnerable Medicare and Medicare-Medicaid enrollees across the United States. He also serves on the clinical faculty of the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine. Dr. Khan is also a member of the ABIM Internal Medicine Board, the American College of Physicians’ national Council of Early Career Physicians and a former member of the ACP Board of Regents (as past chair of the national Council of Resident/Fellow Members).
Bruce Leff, MD, is a board certified internist and geriatrician and Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in the Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology. He is former Chair of the ABIM Geriatrics Board and the ABIM Council. He holds a joint appointment in the Department of Health Policy and Management at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, and in the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, Department of Community and Public Health.
Heather Comer Yun, MD, FACP, FIDS, a board certified internist and infectious disease specialist, is a Colonel in the United States Air Force. She is a Professor of Medicine at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, and Adjunct Professor of Medicine and Infectious Diseases at UTHealth San Antonio. She currently serves as the Deputy Commander for Medical Services at Brooke Army Medical Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas. She is also the Chief of Medical Services for the San Antonio Market of the Defense Health Agency. She is a former member of the ABIM Infectious Disease Board and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education Review Committee in Internal Medicine.
The Board oversees the Foundation’s efforts to advance medical professionalism, and members are national health care leaders, several of whom currently serve or have served on ABIM’s Board of Directors. The 2022-2023 ABIM Foundation Board of Trustees include:
- Chair: David. L Coleman, MD, John Wade Professor and Chair of the Department of Medicine at the Boston University School of Medicine and Physician-in-Chief at Boston Medical Center
- Immediate Past-Chair: Jackie Judd, health care communications consultant
- Vice Chair: Frederick P. Cerise, MD, MPH, President and Chief Executive Officer of Parkland Hospital & Health System
- Secretary-Treasurer: Jeanne Marrazzo, MD, MPH, Director of the Division of Infectious Diseases and C. Glenn Cobbs, MD, Endowed Professor in Infectious Diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine
- Richard J. Baron, MD, President and CEO, American Board of Internal Medicine and ABIM Foundation
- Odette C. Bolano, FACHE, MHA, BSN, President & CEO, St. Alphonsus Health System
- Susan Edgman-Levitan, PA, Executive Director of the John D. Stoeckle Center for Primary Care Innovation at Massachusetts General Hospital
- Yul D. Ejnes, MD, MACP, Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Marianne M. Green, MD, FACP, Vice Dean for Medical Education and Raymond H. Curry, MD, Professor of Medical Education at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Ali M. Khan, MD, MPP, FACP, Chief Medical Officer – Value-Based Care Strategy at Oak Street Health
- Bruce Leff, MD, Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
- Reginald Tucker Seeley, MA, ScM, ScD, Edward L. Schneider Assistant Professor of Gerontology at the Leonard Davis School of Gerontology at the University of Southern California
- Antonia M. Villarruel, PhD, RN, FAAN, Margaret Bond Simon Dean of Nursing at the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing and Director of the school’s WHO Collaborating Center for Nursing and Midwifery Leadership
- Heather Comer Yun, MD, FACP, FIDS, Deputy Commander for Medical Services at the Brooke Army Medical Center, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas and Chief of Medical Services for the San Antonio Market of the Defense Health Agency
About the ABIM Foundation
The ABIM Foundation’s mission is to advance medical professionalism to improve the health care system by collaborating with physicians and physician leaders, medical trainees, health care delivery systems, payers, policymakers, consumer organizations and patients to foster a shared understanding of professionalism and how they can adopt the tenets of professionalism in practice. To learn more about the ABIM Foundation, visit www.abimfoundation.org, connect on LinkedIn or follow on Twitter.