Philadelphia, October 26, 2017 -The ABIM Foundation released Choosing Wisely: A Special Report On The First Five Years to outline the many ways Choosing Wisely® is inspiring conversations, projects and collaborations to reduce overuse in health care. The report is available for download at www.choosingwisely.org.
In April 2012, the ABIM Foundation and Consumer Reports formally launched the Choosing Wisely campaign with the release by nine specialty societies of “Top Five” lists of tests and treatments that clinicians and patients should discuss. Seventeen additional societies joined the campaign and released lists in February 2013.
Since that time, participation in Choosing Wisely has grown rapidly. More than 80 specialty societies have joined the campaign from a wide swath of disciplines, expanding beyond physician-led organizations to include nursing, dentistry, physical therapy and pharmacy. These groups have generated an impressive library of overused tests and treatments, collectively publishing 520 recommendations.
Choosing Wisely by the Numbers
- Over 80 specialty society partners
- 520 recommendations
- Over 70 consumer and employer groups
- 29 current and former grantees
- 45 Choosing Wisely Champions
- 1,330 journal articles referencing Choosing Wisely in 2016
- 1.9 million visits to www.choosingwisely.org in 2016
- 19 countries that have created their own Choosing Wisely campaigns
Erin Frantz, Media Relations Coordinator